The Center for Success and Independence was awarded a grant from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network, funded through the Substance Abuse Mental Health Administration (SAMHA), to provide the following to adolescents though the Harris County Texas juvenile justice program:
- Trauma-informed screening, assessment and treatment services
- New trauma-informed and trauma-focused practices
TCSI’s Safety Acceptance Freedom and Empowerment Program (SAFE) targets youths, ages 12 to 17, because of the high prevalence of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in this age group and the links between traumatic stress and escalating delinquency.
Key aspects for the program include:
- Providing trauma-informed assessment and residential treatment using Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT).
- Screening adolescents for PTSD at Harris County Juvenile Probation (HCJP) sites.
- Implementing trauma-informed practice and new trauma-focused intervention in The Center’s residential program, with new services delivered to clients.
- Providing training and technical assistance to HCJP staff in trauma-informed services.
The Center of Success and Independence is a member of the National Child Traumatic Stress Network.